This sweet and sour chutney is quite runny, but has a little texture from the firmer Fuyu persimmon flesh (see info on persimmon types here).
The flavour is certainly sweet with a tang and spicy kick, and it goes well with barbequed and grilled meats and fish.
Anna’s very own recipe. Makes 250ml.
1 ripe Hachiya persimmon
1 ripe Fuyu persimmon
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
Pinch of dried chilli flakes
Pinch of ground cinnamon
1. Peel the Fuyu persimmon and cube flesh. Put aside in bowl.
2. Scoop the jelly-like flesh out of the Hachiya persimmon. Add to Fuyu.
3. Combine all other ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 1 minute.
4. Add persimmon pulp, reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes until pulp is soft and spices have permeated the chutney.
5. Pour into a sterilised jar and allow to cool.
6. Can be stored in a cool, dark place for up to 2 months.