This is my favourite kind of breakfast.
Once upon a time I craved fluffy hotcakes soaked in maple syrup, but these days I wake up craving eggs and chilli.
Any Mexican-style breakfast is a win for me, but those doused in the tangy heat of salsa verde really gets me out of bed in a hurry.
I love this omelette because it combines the soft vegetal flavours of the cactus with starchy potato and chillies.
Too good. Too easy. Drool*.
Tortilla de Patata y Nopal (Baked Potato & Cactus Omelette)
Anna’s very own recipe. Serves 2.
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup chopped prepared cactus
1 cup diced, cooked potato
4 eggs, beaten
1 green chilli, finely chopped
¼ cup (60ml) sour cream or natural yoghurt
Salsa verde, to serve
Lime wedges, to serve
1. Heat olive oil in a pan, add garlic and sauté and until softened.
2. Add cactus and sauté for a minute or so.
3. Add potato and fry until heated through.
4. In a bowl, whisk together sour cream, eggs, green chilli, salt and pepper.
5. Spread the potato and cactus evenly across the frying pan, then pour over the egg mixture.
6. Cook for 3-5 minutes until set, then finish off under the grill if preferred.
7. Serve with generous lashings of salsa verde.
*That “drool” was for you, Fabio.