Monday 10 November 2008

orange slices w earl grey syrup



When Meeta announced her November Monthly Mingle theme “coffee & tea”, she was very specific to warn people off making tea and coffee drinks as an easy way out.

I decided I wanted to make something with earl grey tea, since I have disliked this particular tea until very recently. Suddenly my taste buds are changing and I adore the fragrance of earl grey while I’m no longer craving chocolate. I don’t know what’s going on!

There are many marmalade recipes featuring earl grey infusions and I figured, since earl grey and orange seem to go so well together, they would make a good match in a fruit salad.

The oranges were bright and fresh while the earl grey added fragrant complexity. Almond provided an earthiness and enhanced the texture while the cream perfectly enriched the dish. It was a tasty, simple and light dessert that you could eat on any occasion.


Orange Slices w Earl Grey Syrup & Almonds

Anna’s very own recipe. Serves 2.


Ingredients:

2 oranges
¼ cup thickened cream
2 tablespoons almond flakes, toasted
Syrup
2 earl grey teabags (or 1 tablespoon loose leaf)
1 cup sugar
1 cup boiling water

Method:


1. In a saucepan, place the boiling water over the teabags and allow to infuse for 30 minutes.

2. Discard teabags, add sugar and then cook over a medium heat until sugar is dissolved.

3. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes. Reduce syrup until thickened.

4. Peel oranges and slice into thin rounds, being sure to discard any seeds you come across. Arrange slices decoratively on a plate.

5. Drizzle oranges generously with earl grey syrup (there will be some leftover), top with cream and almond flakes.


But then, just because Meeta said no drinks (I'm always a little bit naughty), I used up the leftover earl grey syrup and created a liquid version of the very same dessert:

Earl Grey Tipple

Anna's very own recipe. Makes 2.


Ingredients:

50ml Amaretto (1 part)
50ml Grand Marnier (1 part)
100ml orange juice (2 parts)
50ml earl grey syrup (1 part)
50ml cream (1 part)

Method:

Shake with lots of ice and double strain into martini glasses. Drink immediately.

Tags:

6 comments:

  1. Yum going to have to try that soon! I have sooo many oranges to go through!

    Btw I've tagged you for a meme. Check my blog for details. You can participate if you want to :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way - while I am not a fan of drinking Earl Grey tea I do like it in desserts, cakes etc. This sounds refreshing! Thanks for your entry - it's always great to have you over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great!! Got to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delicious! I've always liked Earl Grey tea, but recently I've been drinking even more of it than usual. I'll have to try this next time I have oranges.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is telepatia...and don't ask me how you say that in swedish :)))

    I made a orange marmelade with tealeaves this winter,.
    http://www.peccatidigolaediamicizia.com/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=782
    I didn't think of earl grey...must try this new version!!!
    and...of course try you recipe...it sounds very very gnam!!

    have a nice evening!
    bacioniii

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for saying hello. It's great to know there are people out there in cyberspace!

Related Posts with Thumbnails