When Meeta announced her November Monthly Mingle theme “coffee & tea”, she was very specific to warn people off making tea and coffee drinks as an easy way out.
I decided I wanted to make something with earl grey tea, since I have disliked this particular tea until very recently. Suddenly my taste buds are changing and I adore the fragrance of earl grey while I’m no longer craving chocolate. I don’t know what’s going on!
There are many marmalade recipes featuring earl grey infusions and I figured, since earl grey and orange seem to go so well together, they would make a good match in a fruit salad.
The oranges were bright and fresh while the earl grey added fragrant complexity. Almond provided an earthiness and enhanced the texture while the cream perfectly enriched the dish. It was a tasty, simple and light dessert that you could eat on any occasion.
Orange Slices w Earl Grey Syrup & Almonds
Anna’s very own recipe. Serves 2.
¼ cup thickened cream
2 tablespoons almond flakes, toasted
2 earl grey teabags (or 1 tablespoon loose leaf)
1 cup sugar
1 cup boiling water
1. In a saucepan, place the boiling water over the teabags and allow to infuse for 30 minutes.
2. Discard teabags, add sugar and then cook over a medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
3. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes. Reduce syrup until thickened.
4. Peel oranges and slice into thin rounds, being sure to discard any seeds you come across. Arrange slices decoratively on a plate.
5. Drizzle oranges generously with earl grey syrup (there will be some leftover), top with cream and almond flakes.
Earl Grey Tipple
Anna's very own recipe. Makes 2.
50ml Amaretto (1 part)
50ml Grand Marnier (1 part)
100ml orange juice (2 parts)
50ml earl grey syrup (1 part)
50ml cream (1 part)
Shake with lots of ice and double strain into martini glasses. Drink immediately.
Tags: morsels and musings food blog food and drink australia recipes dessert earl grey earl grey tea oranges almond recipes orange recipes fruit recipes earl grey recipes earl grey tea recipes dessert recipes