Tuesday, 1 January 2008
I remember 1998 so clearly. I started university, met two of my closest friends, moved to Italy. It was a big year but now it was 10 years ago!
This year I have a lot of new year resolutions, but focusing on my gastronomic interests, I have set myself some goals over the next 12 months.
Wish me luck!
Cook Recipes I’ve Coveted
1. khachapuri – Georgian cheese bread completed Feb 2009
2. coeur a la crème – French dairy dessert completed Jun 2011
3. pesche ripiene – Italian roast peaches w amaretti completed
4. sinh to bo – Vietnamese avocado milkshake completed
5. rujak – Indonesian/Malay salad completed
2. sapote (tropical fruit)
3. crocodile completed
4. wines from South Africa completed
5. wines from the USA completed
Cook w New Ingredients
1. mastic (Greek resin) completed Feb 09
2. qamar el-deen / amardine tart, soup
3. quinoa stew, breakfast, salad
4. hibiscus flowers drink
5. squid ink risotto
Recreate Food Memories
1. Grandma’s banana cream pie completed
2. Dad’s pickled eggs completed
3. Mum’s lemon roasted chicken completed
4. Mum’s cornbread completed
5. Nonna’s vegetable sauce for pork completed
Find Recipes & Cook
1. česneková polévka (Czech garlic broth) completed Dec 2011
2. Königsberger klopse (Prussian meatballs)
3. rasam completed
4. sorbat susu completed
5. tan tan men completed
Invent My Own Recipes
1. musk ice cream
2. crepe gratin
3. risotto cakes completed
4. dang myun noodles completed
5. fruit dessert soup blueberry, apricot
Learn More About Food from
1. East Africa Ethiopian spice blend, Ethiopian main, Mauritian salad, Eritrean main
2. West Africa Senegalese main, Burkina Faso stew, Ghanese fritters
3. Andean nations Peruvian stew, Argentinean main, Bolivian salad, Ecuadorian soup
4. Caribbean Bajan dessert, Jamaican main, Jamaican spice blend, Cuban side dish
5. India (different regional styles) Tamil Nadu soup, Kerala curry, Punjab drink, Andhra Pradesh curry
Cook a Multi-Course Meal
1. East African feast
2. Indian banquet
3. Seafood dining
4. Italian formal dinner completed
5. Balinese banquet completed
Cook From These Cookbooks
1. Pier by Greg Doyle (seafood)
2. MoVida by Frank Camorra & Richard Cornish (Spanish) completed
3. Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home by the Moosewood Collective (vegetarian) completed
4. Made in Italy by Giorgio Locatelli (Italian) completed
5. Cook with Jamie by Jamie Oliver (home cooking) completed
Buy These Cookbooks
1. Creole by Babette de Rozières in the bag!
2. Secrets of Red Lantern by Pauline Nguyen in the bag!
3. Thai Food by David Thompson
4. Cheese Slices by Will Studd
5. one by Greg Malouf: Saha or Turquoise
So that's it, although I do think it's going to be a real challenge to get through all of these while still aiming to cook my way around the world at the same time.
Good luck to everyone else in achieving your own new year resolutions.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!