Friday 16 May 2008

pickled eggs

When I was a teenager, my father made a batch of pickled eggs.

I was sceptical of this “weird” invention of his, since I’d never heard of pickled eggs let alone seen them anywhere, however being a big fan of everything pickled I tried them and became addicted.

Ever since I have wondered how he’d made them and why he never tried again. Even though it was a fixed culinary moment in my life, when I brought it up with him he barely even remembered making them.

But it wasn’t a dream.

And here I am replicating these great snacks for my ovo-lacto vegetarian husband as part of a 2008 food resolution to recreate this great food memory (part of my Pickles & Preserves Week).

Pickled eggs are perfect snacks. Apart from matching well with beer and other savoury drinks, they give Jonas something to munch on late at night after he comes home from the restaurant.

And better still they remind me of my father’s love of pickles and his adventurous, experimental spirit in the kitchen. I’m hoping his recent retirement will bring back this love of cooking, which was instrumental in inspiring me.

Pickled Eggs
Anna’s very own recipe. Makes 12.
Ingredients:

12 eggs, hard boiled and peeled
200ml cider vinegar
150ml white vinegar
150 ml water
2 tablespoons sugar
4 dried bay leaves
12 black peppercorns
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 small onion, roughly chopped
Method:
1. Put vinegars, water, sugar, bay leaves, mustard seeds and peppercorns into small pot and bring to the boil.
2. Place some onion in the bottom of the jar then some eggs and then some more onion until you’ve used them up.
3. When vinegar has come to the boil pour into jar over the eggs.
4. Seal immediately turning upside down to sterilise lid.
5. Refrigerate for 2 weeks before serving. Use within 2 weeks of opening.


Tags:

2 comments:

  1. Over here these are sold in all the taverns, but I've never tasted them. Sounds like something I might like though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I save the pickling liquid from my jars of dill pickles in a quart jar. When it is full I boil up a dozen or so eggs and pour the dill pickle liquid into a 1/2 gallon jar, add the eggs, a couple cloves of garlic and let sit in the fridge for a week or so. Umm they are so good.

    Momma D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for saying hello. It's great to know there are people out there in cyberspace!

Related Posts with Thumbnails