Sunday 4 May 2008

aam ki lassi (mango & cardamom lassi)

Chris from Mele Cotte is hosting a playful mango themed event that I only discovered today: Cinco de Mango!

With the revamp of the Is My Blog Burning? website there is an avalanche of great food blogging events and I was lucky to be able to catch this one.

Mangoes are simply delicious. As a child they were an integral part of my Christmas. Stomach already bulging enormously from lunch, I’d sit in the swimming pool eating mangoes since it didn’t matter if my face got messy. And the buoyancy of the water would always take the weight off my bursting tummy.

I am sure the Northern Hemisphere readers are perplexed with this story, but when your Christmas is in summer, it’s just not Christmas without trays and trays of ripe mangoes.

One of my all time favourite mango recipes is the lassi, an Indian yoghurt shake perfect for cooling down after spicy foods. It’s also an excellent breakfast shake.

And why not post an Indian recipe, since mangoes are the national fruit and India accounts for more than half of global mango production. Along with China, Mexico and Thailand, the four countries comprise more than 80% of global production!

I am sure there will be several entries for the humble mango lassi in this Cinco de Mango event, but here’s my version:


Aam Ki Lassi (Mango Yoghurt Shake)

Anna’s very own recipe. Serves 4.


Ingredients:

250ml plain yoghurt
200g fresh mango pulp
2 green cardamom pods
Ice and ice water, to taste

Method:


1. Split the cardamom pods and remove the tiny seeds. Crush to a fine powder with a mortar and pestle.

2. In a blender combine all the ingredients until smooth.

3. Adjust the consistency to suit use by adding ice water and ice. Serve immediately.

~ ~ ~

So this is my contribution to Cinco de Mango. The round-up will be posted on Mele Cotte on the 5th of May, just in time for the real Cinco de Mayo celebrations in Mexico.

If you’re after some more mango information or recipes, try the Australian Mango Industry Association or the US National Mango Board.

On another note, this drink contributes to one of my 2008 Food Resolution, to explore foods from India's different regions. Apparently the lassi comes from the northern Indian region of Punjab (below in the Wikipedia map), although it has now spread throughout the country, the region and the world!


Tags:

1 comment:

  1. I'm laughing because I just made mango lassi with almost this exact same recipe, and my recipe came from one of the South Beach Diet cookbooks! Just shows that classic recipes are found everywhere I guess. My first time tasting lassi and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for saying hello. It's great to know there are people out there in cyberspace!

Related Posts with Thumbnails