Friday 1 January 2010

2010 food challenges

For 2010, I’m going to be a little more realistic about what I can handle when it comes to the Food Challenges.

In 2009, my life got in the way of cooking and blogging so I didn’t manage to complete as many challenges as I has hoped.

To address that, in 2010 I’ve reduced the challenges from 40-something to only 20 listed under five categories:
1. New Ingredients: using an ingredient I’ve never cooked with before
2. Learn About: focusing on a type of dish, national cuisine or cooking technique.
3. Find Recipes: scouring the world for a decent recipe.
4. Coveted Recipes: cooking a recipe I’ve had for a long time but never managed to make.
5. Invent Recipes: make my own version of something.

I’ve also decided to create a new challenge for myself by listing all delicious meals I’ve eaten elsewhere and trying to recreate them. I’ll create a second post for these, since I don’t want to limit this list to 2010. What I’ll do is continually add to the list as I eat new and wonderful dishes, and link back to the original post when I attempt each dish myself. I plan this to be an ongoing challenge.

For these food memories, click here.

But here are the 2010 Food Challenges . . . .

Cook with new ingredients:
Achacha (tropical fruit) - COMPLETED achacha thirst quencher
Goat - COMPLETE goat cutlets with agrodolce sauce
Lavender - COMPLETE (lavender-honey ice cream)
Rosella Flowers - COMPLETE (rosella flowers in syrup)

Learn about:
Jelly
Smoking
Native Australian Ingredients - MADE rosellas in syrup, bought strawberry gum, aniseed myrtle & wattleseed
Ice Cream - MADE lavender-honey plus Passionfruit, Dark Chocolate, Strawberry & Cardamom, Soursop, and Pomegranate Frozen Yoghurt

Find recipes for:
Ma Po Dou Fu (Chinese Pork Mince & Tofu)
Singapore Chilli Crab completed 2011
Passionfruit Curd - COMPLETE
Passionfruit Marshmallows - COMPLETE

Cook coveted recipes:
Lemon Buttermilk Ice Cream
Baby Potatoes w Blood Sausage & Crisp Parsley
Fragolaceto
Armenian Yoghurt Soup w Dumplings - COMPLETE

Invent recipes for:
Grissini
Green Papaya/Mango Salad
Musk Ice Cream
Custard Tart - COMPLETE (clove & orange custard tart)

6 comments:

  1. Wow! You've set yourself some really interesting challenges. I'm looking forward to watching them! :)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look like good challenges!

    Do you mean rosella as in the bird?

    Re: passionfruit marshmallows, here are a couple of recipes I've been wanting to try.

    http://gourmettraveller.com.au/passionfruit_marshmallows.htm

    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/22033/passionfruit+marshmallows

    A friend uses the second one, and the marshmallows are fantastic. But I like the idea of the 1st one because I am lazy and can't be bothered to find glucose syrup.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the way you've divided the categories in these interesting groups. You've inspired me to try to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks everyone!

    suzy - i mean fresh rosella flowers (hibiscus) not the birds!!!

    although when my mother was young and lived in the bush, her father was a sleeper cutter and would go out for days at a time so she confessed she and her hungry brothers made king parrot stew once. gross!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just discovered your blog as I was looking for a recipe for fatteh. I must say I am delighted by your blog. I am also passionate about cooking and about learning recipes from all over the world. About Achacha, it comes from Bolivia (I am Bolivian too)and we called it Achachairu, and there it is often made as juice or sorbet. But I am sure there might be other wonderful possiblities, it is a delicious fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your list. Very cool, I should try and document my list too, bit disorganised at the moment.

    Re the native Australian foods, I made Wattleseed and macadamia biscuits this year and they have been winner (made them twice)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for saying hello. It's great to know there are people out there in cyberspace!

Related Posts with Thumbnails