Friday, 27 June 2008
It’s cold here in Sydney. The days are deceptive with their blue skies and sunshine but the wind is icy and the nights are chill.
What better way to warm up than with a belly full of meat and potato. So comforting.
This is (apparently) an Argentinean recipe, part of my 2008 food challenges, but I’ll let the Argentineans decide whether it's truly tradtional or not.
I’ll enjoy eating it nonetheless.
Pastel de Papas (Argentinean Shepherd’s Pie)
Recipe from Popular Traditional Argentina Food. Serves 2.
Ingredients:4 cups of mashed potatoes (add butter and salt to taste)
2 cups ground beef
½ teaspoon of chopped parsley
2 tablespoons of grated cheese
1 onion, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 garlic clove, minced
½ cup of oil
Spices to taste
1. Heat the oil. Fry onions and garlic.
2. Stir in tomatoes and tomato sauce when onions turn light brown.
3. When tomatoes are cooked, stir in ground beef.
4. Continue stirring to blend well all ingredients. Add the cheese and parsley
5. Cook until beef is brown. Remove from heat and season.
6. Oil a baking dish and then spread half the potatoes on the bottom.
7. Spread the ground beef over the potatoes.
8. Cover the ground beef with the remaining mashed potatoes.
9. Bake in oven till the top is lightly browned.
Tags: morsels and musings food blog food and drink australia recipes main course beef pie shephard’s pie pastel de papas shephard’s pie recipes potato recipes beef recipes pie recipes argentinean recipes argentinean food argentinean cuisine