Wednesday 17 December 2008

risotto cakes w calamari, parsley & capers


First I want to plug this book, Homecooked Feasts: Favourite Celebratory Recipes from Australian Kitchens.

Why? Because celebrity chef Maggie Beer and delicious magazine food editor Valli Little selected no less than five of my recipes to be included!!! I knew one of my recipes had made it in, but I had no idea that all five would be printed!!! I’m proud as punch.

Flicking through the pages, Morsels & Musings readers might recognise Caldo Tlalpeño, Roast Pork w Apples & Prunes, Emu Steaks w Pepperberry & Rosella Sauce, Erebos & Nyx (blackberry cocktail) and Vanilla & Rosewater Cupcakes.

It’s the first time one of my recipes has been published. I’m so pleased.

Now that all my chest puffing and hooting has ended, we can move onto the 2008 food challenge of the day: Risotto Cakes w Calamari & Parsley-Caper Dressing.

I used squid ink risotto because I wanted to contrast the black of the risotto with the beautiful red of the tomatoes, the white of the calamari and the green from the dressing. It worked wonderfully!

The flavours are simply sublime. Sweet calamari, tangy capers and crispy risotto. Delish!


Risotto Cakes w Calamari & Parsley-Caper Dressing
Anna’s very own recipe. Serves 2.


Ingredients:
200g risotto, chilled (I used squid ink risotto)
200g calamari
3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
3 tablespoons finely chopped capers
100ml lemon juice
6 cherry tomatoes
Olive oil, for frying and drizzling
Flour, for dusting
Salt and pepper, to taste

Method:

1. Take the risotto and shape into two patties. Dust with seasoned flour and chill.

2. Slice the calamari into strips and score gently with a knife. Dust lightly in seasoned flour.

3. Heat olive oil a pan. Gently add the risotto cakes to one fry until crispy, about 5 minutes on each side.

4. Meanwhile, in another pan, fry the calamari in olive oil for about 2 minutes per pieces or until slightly browned and tender.

5. Remove calamari from pan and while risotto cakes are still frying, add cherry tomatoes to calamari pan and heat until soft and just bursting.

6. When risotto cakes are ready, remove from pan and place on warm plates. Top with 3 cherries each and some calamari strips.

7. In a bowl, combine lemon juice, parsley, capers and a little olive oil. Drizzle around the plate and serve while ingredients are still hot.


Tags:

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That book looks great. I'll have to check it out in the ABC shop so I can see your name in print xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omedetou! I knew it was just a matter of time before you were 'talent scouted'. Well done. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Anna! That's fantastic and thoroughly well deserved too. I know what I'll be getting the relos for Chrissie this year.

    x Shell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Anna! That's definitely something to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! Congratulations Anna. U R A REAL STAR !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats Anna - that's fantastic. I'll have to add this to my list of coveted cookbooks. Great to see that Vicky and Roberto's soup made it in too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for saying hello. It's great to know there are people out there in cyberspace!

Related Posts with Thumbnails