Friday, 13 February 2009
It might not look very nice, but this noodle dish is quite delicious.
It’s not quite as delicious as the version I tasted in Ubud (Bali, Indonesia) at the Casa Luna restaurant, but then getting my hands on the tiny kaffir limes and other native ingredients isn’t as easy in Sydney. It’s as close as I’m going to get.
This is my contribution to the 100th episode of Presto Pasta Nights, hosted by the founder Ruth from Once Upon A Feast.
If you’re interested in more Balinese posts (photos and all!), I’ll add the links below the recipe.
Scallops w Lemongrass & Kaffir Vermicelli
Anna’s version of a meal eaten at Casa Luna. Serves 2.
100ml coconut milk
3 young lemongrass stalks
4 kaffir leaves, very finely sliced
Juice of 1 lime
Pinch of long pepper
Pinch of salt
1 small red chilli, thinly sliced for garnish
2 tablespoons baby mint leaves
1. Remove the tough outer leaves of the lemongrass stalks until you come to the tender, pale leaves underneath.
2. Mince the stalks very, very finely although stop when you reach the higher, woodier part of the stalk. You only want the soft, moist end near the bulb.
3. In a pan, heat the coconut milk with a little salt and long pepper as well as the lemongrass and kaffir. Bring almost to the boil the reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. In the meantime, soak the vermicelli in a bowl of freshly boiled water until soft (about 5 minutes).
5. In the meantime, season the scallops with salt and long pepper, then pan fry for max 60 seconds on each side.
6. Drain the vermicelli and divide between two bowls. Divide the lime juice and sprinkle over the noodles.
7. Divide the coconut sauce into the bowls until there’s just enough to dress the vermicelli. Toss well.
8. Garnish noodles with chilli and mint then top with scallops. Can be served warm or room temperature.
Bali, Indonesia (July 2007)
Balinese cooking class
Dining out in Bali
Sirsak - soursop fruit
Salak - snakefruit
Tags: morsels and musings food blog food and drink australia recipes scallops noodles coconut lemongrass kaffir coconut recipes kaffir recipes lemongrass recipes noodle recipes scallop recipes balinese recipes balinese food balinese cuisine indonesian recipes indonesian food indonesian cuisine