Tuesday 29 March 2011

oysters w lime caviar



I love Sydney rock oysters. They taste so much better than the huge Pacific oysters.

Don’t get me wrong, if you gave me a dozen Pacifics I’d be a happy gal, but the rock oysters are simply sublime.

So why not match the native Sydney rocks to another native ingredient? Finger limes!

The beautifully coloured caviar looks wonderful and the tangy flavour is a perfect acidic accompaniment to the creamy rock oysters.

If you want more info on finger limes, try these two cocktail recipes.

Thanks again to Fred and Janet Durham at the Australian Finger Lime Company who generously gave me these finger limes.



Oysters w Lime Caviar & Black Pepper

Ingredients:
12 Sydney rock oysters
Caviar of 2 finger limes
Black pepper, to taste
Squeeze of regular lime juice
Drop or two of oil (avocado, sesame, olive)

Method:
1. Combine all the ingredients except the oysters into a bowl and mix to combine.
2. Top your oyster and enjoy!


This ticks off a 2011 Food Challenge to use more native ingredients.

8 comments:

  1. I'm a huge Sydney Rock oyster fan too. It's funny that in today's era of molecular gastronomy I almost thought you made these using lime juice and spherification. Haha. Au naturel is always the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahaha me too! i totes thought some sodium alginate would be making an appearance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lime and oysters are such a good combination. I love your lateral thinking here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oysters will be soon in season in UK as well limes. So i will start to practise this lime caviar

    http://kitchenvoyage.blogspot.com/ Download Spring British Food Calendar

    ReplyDelete
  5. helen & suze - haha, no i haven't been making little lime pearls. nature does it best.

    deborah & german - thanx!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really delicious, i love oysters and i have never tried finger lime.
    On another note I was excited to see you in a lindt bunny hunt bonus clue!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought you had got all chemical at first, gotta find me some finger limes in California - Berkeley bowl hopefully

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum love oyster eggs, especially the green ones :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for saying hello. It's great to know there are people out there in cyberspace!

Related Posts with Thumbnails