Stevi from Bread and Butter posted this wonderful eggplant appetiser that featured in my very first Recipe Carousel.
Since then I have made this recipe twice and have been very happy with the delicious results.
Stevi's recipe. Makes 8 rolls.
2 aubergines, cut into 4 slices lengthways
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsps fresh chives, chopped
2 tbsps fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
2 tbsps pine nuts
1 big garlic clove, peeled, crushed
1. Preheat oven to 250'C.
2. Heat olive in a big frying pan.
3. Brush the slices of aubergine with the oil before placing the slices in the pan. Turn the slices of aubergine, to cook both sides.
4. Remove the pan from the heat, let aubergines cool a little.
5. Put feta, parsley, chives, pine nuts and garlic in a small bowl and stir.
6. Take a slice of aubergine and place a tablespoon of the feta mixture in the centre of the slice.
7. Carefully roll the aubergine upwards. Place the aubergine roll on a baking tray before repeating the process with the 3 other aubergine slices. If it doesn’t remain sealed, secure it with a toothpick.
8. Place aubergine rolls in the oven for 5 minutes. Serve hot or cold. If you want you can make some simple tomato sauce and serve a spoonful on the side.
1. Sliced the eggplant a little thinner (although be careful it doesn't tear once stuffed)
2. Added ricotta to the fetta mix
3. Toasted the pinenuts before adding them to the cheese so they had a crisper texture
This is a simple recipe that tastes so very, very good.