Monday 14 August 2006

recipe carousel #9 - jam

Recipe Carousel is here again and after posting on bread last week, I felt jam was the natural way to follow.

I am really fascinated with jams and preserves at the moment. I love the idea of reducing fruit into a syrupy mass and then devouring it on toast or with yoghurt.

My recent attempt at candied cumquats worked successfully, so I'm ready for another jam making session.

I hope the next seven recipes tempt you too!

Pears with Spiced Caramel Preserves comes from J in Singapore (Kuidaore). This gorgeous preserve uses green apple stock, star anise, cardamom, cinnamon and citrus to develop a spicy note to the rich caramel and pears flavours. The original recipe said to julienne the pears, but J sliced them into segments so she could use them in desserts. She even provides an example with a recipe (and brilliant photo) for a gorgeous Pear & Lime Charlotte. Photo courtesy of J.


Spiced Lingonberry Jam is a sweet treat from Stephanie in Sweden (The Sum of My Parts). Stephanie is studying her PhD in Umeå (thesis topic on the formation of blog communities) while also a single mother of twins and a student teacher! And she still has time to bubble up some delicious jam using Sweden’s yummiest berry. Photo courtesy of Stephanie.


Apricot Preserves comes from Maki in Switzerland (I Was Just Really Very Hungry). I am a huge sucker for anything with apricots and this is such a rich, deep colour that I am convinced it would taste incredible! Maki recommends this thick, chunky product on plain yoghurt or vanilla ice cream, and of course fresh bread. Photo courtesy of Maki.


Jamun Jam is an interesting contribution from deccanheffalump in India (The Cook's Cottage), I had never seen nor heard of a jamun before I saw this post and I became intrigued. According to deccanheffalump jamun trees were grown for shade and were never cultivated for their fruit, which now is hard to come by and expensive compared to other local produce. Jamun are indigenous to India and the violet fruit have a tart flavour that deccanheffalump likens to a good Vino Nobile di Montepulciano. Photo courtesy of deccanheffalump.


Mango Strawberry Jam from Meeta in Germany (What’s For Lunch Honey?) was born after buying too much fruit and then indecision over which to cook. Why not use both? The recipe is very simple and doesn’t take long at all, which makes it great. Meeta used more mango than strawberry and suggests using it to flavour milkshakes as an afternoon treat. Photo courtesy of Meeta.


Fig & Cinnamon Jam. Mellie in Australia (Tummy Rumbles) uses Australia’s cooking bible “Stephanie Alexander's Cook's Companion” to create her own recipe using figs and red wine vinegar. The final product turned out to be a beautiful deep maroon colour with cinnamon flavours that “feather[ed] the taste buds”. This post also comes with a bonus apricot jam recipe. Photo courtesy of Mellie.


Rose Petal Champagne Jelly comes from Ulrike in Germany (Küchenlatein). This is another from the original two Recipe Carousels that I feel is worth mentioning again grouped under its own theme. Ulrike used petals from her own garden, topped up with some from her neighbour. I love rose flavoured things and rose jelly just makes me want to go to high tea. Photo courtesy of Ulrike.

Add your own recipe!
If you want to link in your own jam recipe and share the love around, just leave the link in the comments section. You didn’t have to invent the recipe yourself, just make it and post it on your site. The whole idea of Recipe Carousel is that good recipes are shared with people who love to cook.
Note: Usual comments are more than welcome but all html links must be jam recipe related.

Check out other Recipe Carousel themes: bread, seafood mains, ice cream, soup, chocolate and drinks.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for adding my Fig & Cinnamon jam to your carousel (...hey, what a brilliant idea!). This was the first year I have attempted jams, and I absolutely love it :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've gotta introduce you to coconut jam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna,
    Thanks for writing about my jamun jam.Like you, I also love making preserves. Might try another take on a jamun preserve when it is in season again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for mentioning me again, but you should have waited for SHF#22 :-). I've two more jam recipes, sorry only in German:

    red currant jelly - Roter Johannisbeer- Fruchtaufstrich

    Oregon grape and apple jelly - Mahonien-Apfel-Gelee

    And for the SHF#22 I am thinking of a plum and red-currant jelly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for saying hello. It's great to know there are people out there in cyberspace!

Related Posts with Thumbnails