A great Thai restaurant that I eat at regularly serves sticky rice, coconut milk and mango for $2.5 in little takeaway containers.
I love this refreshing and mild dessert after a spicy, tangy meal of fish sauce, lime juice and lots and lots of chilli. It really takes the edge off the chilli afterburn.
Khao Neuw Mamuang – Mango & Sticky Rice
Based on a recipe from the back of a rice packet. Serves 2-3.
1 cup sticky rice
2 tablespoons palm sugar
250ml coconut milk
pinch of salt
1. Soak rice in warm water for 10-20 minutes. Drain.
2. In a saucepan, cover rice with 400ml water and put on the lid.
3. Bring to boil then stir. Simmer 15 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and, leaving cover on, allow to stand 5-10 minutes.
5. Heat coconut milk with sugar and salt, stirring constantly and taking care not to allow milk to boil or it could curdle.
6. Combine most of coconut milk with rice, reserving some coconut milk for serving. Allow the hot rice to absorb some of the coconut milk then serve, drizzling rice with remaining coconut milk.
7. Cut cheeks from mango and slice. Serve with rice.
Tags: morsels and musings food blog food and drink australia recipes dessert mango and sticky rice khao neuw mamuang mango coconut milk dessert recipes thai recipes thai food thai cuisine