Sunday 8 April 2007

ceviche mixto del mar

More raw food!

I adore raw fish, and raw beef for that matter, but fish is much easier to prepare at home.

This time I tried out a Cubanesque recipe for ceviche mixto and was more than pleased with the results.

To be honest, I’m not sure whether this recipe is Cuban or not, but the recipe book said it was so I’m sticking to it!

Ceviche is said to have originated in Peru and spread quickly throughout Latin America. It’s easy to see why: crisp, clean flavours and fresh fish, what more could you ask for?

Apparently Cubans like to add allspice and habenero chillies to their ceviche, but since habeneros are impossible to find fresh in Australia, a jalapeno was listed instead.

This recipe also brought in a touch of sweetness in the form of mango and called for a garnish of spiced popcorn. I was too lazy and omitted the popcorn, but apparently this is a common ceviche garnish in some countries.

Strange but true.

Ceviche Mixto del Mar (Cubano)
Recipe by Victor Pisapia (Gourmet Traveller Modern Salads). Served 6-8 as a starter.
Ingredients:

300g small green prawns, peeled and cleaned
300g scallops, halved or quartered depending on size
300g salmon fillet, skinned and pin-boned
1 tomato, chopped
1 mango, peeled and cubed
¼ red onion, chopped
1 jalapeño chilli, seeded and finely chopped
250ml lime juice (1 cup)
150ml orange juice
½ cup loosely packed coriander leaves, chopped
1 tablespoons caster sugar
1 large orange or pink grapefruit, peeled and segmented
Popcorn, seasoned with chilli, cumin and salt
Method:
1. Boil water. Blanch prawns for 30 seconds then transfer to ice water immediately. Drain.
2. Combine all seafood with tomato, mango, onion and chilli in a large bowl and cover with lime and orange juice. Toss gently and ensure all seafood is submerged in juices.
3. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
4. Drain seafood and discard marinate.
5. Add coriander, sugar and orange/grapefruit, season to taste.
6. Spoon into serving bowls and top with coriander. Pass popcorn separately.
Note: I used Moreton Bay bugs instead of the salmon.

This week I’m again using my favourite herb, coriander. I can’t believe how much I’ve adopted this herb after such violent reactions against it during my youth.

Ahhhh, the joys of an adaptive palate!

This Easter WHB is being hosted by the lovely Anh from Food Lover’s Journey. Be sure to check up her recap, as well as the wonderful Vietnamese recipes she has on her blog.


Tags:

6 comments:

  1. Anna, I adore raw fish, too. But I think it is safer for me to eat at the restaurant than making it at home :P
    Your salad looks devine. Love to go and spend some time in Sydney just for the seafood fare, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. your salad looks so yumlicious!!!!
    i love this word and thats what comes to my mind when i see a well photographed yummy dish.
    bye
    MAHEK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, this sounds just wonderful. I've only had seviche when the shrimp was in a tomatoey broth with the lime juice, but I liked it very much. Quite intrigued with the idea of popcorn as a garnish.

    BTW, I just spent about 4 hours this last weekend coordinating my blogroll/feed reader and realized I wasn't getting your feed for some reason, so now I will keep up on your recipes a lot better. Looking forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love your website! your recipes are inspiring me to try! just want to say that the recipe is probably not cuban though. cuban dishes are generally not spicy and they don't have habanero peppers. i have had such a dish in southern mexico. looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I love ceviche. Looks beautiful. I wish fish was cheaper and more available here in Germany. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anna
    Thank you for your fantastic blog. It keeps me inspired to cook even when in dingy hostel kitchens.
    The other day I got to try cerviche in a hole-in-the-wall peruvian joint in Buenos Aires. The corn side is not like popcorn like you get at cinemas at all. It´s big dry corn kernals that have been partially split by the heat and then tossed with chilli powder and salt. While unexpected it was tastey and the crunchy chewiness was a great counterbalance to the texture of cured fish.
    I think the corn used is one of the more starchy varieties here in South America.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for saying hello. It's great to know there are people out there in cyberspace!

Related Posts with Thumbnails