Friday 27 April 2007

sexy, sumptuous, sashimi

Sashimi is a wonderful thing: beautiful fresh fish marbled with the finest traces of fat. It’s truly beautiful, delicious and healthy.

As my final post before I embark overseas on a two week business trip, I give you a trio of sashimi recipes.

Kingfish w Lime, Olive Oil & Pink Peppercorns
Salmon w Ginger-Soy Sauce
Kingfish w Soy, Mustard & Onions


Each is a beautiful, exquisite morsel of tangy dressing and delicate fish.

Kingfish w Lime, Olive Oil & Pink Peppercorns
Anna’s very own recipe, inspired by Marcela. Serves 2 as appetiser.
Ingredients:
100g hiramasa kingfish (sashimi grade)
1 tablespoon good quality EV olive oil
½ teaspoon freshly ground pink peppercorns
Juice of 1 lime
Method:
1. Finely slice fish into thin segments. Arrange on plate.
2. Drizzle over lime juice then olive oil.
3. Sprinkle over pepper to taste and serve immediately.

Salmon w Ginger-Soy Sauce
Jonas & Anna’s very own recipe. Serves 2 as appetiser.
Ingredients:
100g salmon (sashimi grade)
2 tablespoons shoyu (light soy sauce)
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon mirin
Method:
1. Combine all ingredients except fish and refrigerate for 1 hour or even overnight.
2. Finely slice fish into thin segments. Arrange on plate.
3. Drizzle over sauce and serve immediately.
Note: There will probably be sauce leftover. This can be used as a marinade or salad dressing.

Kingfish w Soy, Mustard & Onions
Anna’s very own recipe, inspired by Rise. Serves 2 as appetiser.
Ingredients:

100g hiramasa kingfish (sashimi grade)
1 tablespoons shoyu (light soy sauce)
½ teaspoon mustard powder or 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 shallot (scallion) thinly sliced separating white & green parts
Method:
1. Combine shoyu, lemon juice, mustard & vinegar with the white part of the shallot.
2. Finely slice fish into thin segments. Arrange on plate.
3. Drizzle over sauce. Top with green part of shallot and serve immediately.
As this final sashimi dish contains shallots, I dedicate this post to WHB, hosted by Glenna at a Fridge Full of Food.

Adieu my friends and see you when I get back!

Tags:

15 comments:

  1. I would love to taste all of these. Sashimi is so wonderful. I hope you have a fantastic time on the trip. I'm very jealous; I'm just entering into the toughest part of the school year: end of level tests. Poor kids. They are tested to death in this country. I would much rather be off traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are my chopsticks? I would love to help you devour all three of those! Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I justed wanted to say that I found your blog through a google search looking for a pink poodle birthday cake. I was floored when I saw the one you made it was perfect!!! So, I did my best to replicate it for my daughters first birthday. If you would like to see the results check it out at http://the-5-gilberts.blogspot.com listed under How many cakes does a birthday girl need...
    You have great recipes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those look amazing! Sashimi is my power food. I absolutely love eating it. I feel amazing afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, have fun anna, i bet you get to eat lots of yummy food!!
    i'd love to bemoan the misuse of my hard earned wages, but you get on your high horse when i swear or mention your job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where are my chopsticks, want an instant bite! What great sashimi!!
    Enjoy your trip!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My god what a post-title! I think you can understand how much I would love sashimi, having grown up on that stuff! Awesome stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. they all look fabulous and tasty.
    hope you have a wonderful trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh I love love love sashimi. It has to be one of the most divine tastes ever.
    Just wondering where were you able to get sashimi grade fish in Sydney? I would love to get some myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey jenjen, i buy the sashimi from the fish markets. some days are better than others, but usually we can get some good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loooove sashimi! Beautiful post. Have a safe trip......

    ReplyDelete
  12. it' s true: wonderful blog! regards

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, since I don´t have your e-mail, I just wanted to let you know that I have tagged you... Hope you don´t mind:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just been browsing your blog Anna for the first time. Some great recipes and I like the recipe index I can come back to without needing to post everything to My Delicious. Have a nice trip.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your sashimi recipes look very easy to make. I will defiantly try them out... I just made a Salmon Sashimi with Blue Cheese and White Miso Puree http://cuceesprouts.com/2010/10/salmon-sashimi-with-blue-cheese-and-whie-miso-puree/ and it was really good. Try it

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for saying hello. It's great to know there are people out there in cyberspace!

Related Posts with Thumbnails