Sunday, 3 May 2009
Served with good crusty bread, this soup makes a quick and simple lunch or a light starter at dinner.
Although I prefer it hot during the autumn and winter, you can easily chill it and serve at a summer barbecue.
Zuppa di Fagioli Cannellini (Italian White Bean Soup)
Anna’s very own recipe. Serves 4 as starter.
500ml vegetable stock
600g canned cannellini beans
1 white onion, chopped finely
4 garlic cloves, crushed
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
¼ cup finely grated parmesan
Pinch of chilli powder
Salt and pepper, to taste
Olive oil, for frying
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot.
2. Sauté onion and garlic until soft.
3. Add beans, stock, chilli powder and plenty of freshly ground salt and pepper.
4. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered.
5. In a blender, add lemon juice then puree soup to smooth consistency. Taste for seasoning.
6. Eat hot or cold with crusty bread and garnished with olive oil, parsley and parmesan.