Sunday, 28 September 2008
Lucy from Nourish Me is hosting this month’s Legume Love Affair event, where bloggers are invited to celebrate their love of pulses through recipe worship. The event was founded by Susan at the Well Seasoned Cook.
I have always loved legumes, even as a wee lass, so it wasn’t difficult to convince me to take part.
I decided to focus on chickpeas, or garbanzos, because they were always the one legume I didn’t like. But now I love them and try to eat them all the time.
This dish is a really typical Spanish side dish or tapas. The flavour of the chorizo permeates the tomato sauce and the chickpeas provide substance and sustenance. It’s great with a glass of red or even rosé.
Check back at Nourish Me for the legume round-up.
Garbanzo y Chorizo (Chickpeas & Chorizo)
Anna’s very own recipe. Serves 2 as side dish or tapa.
400g can chickpeas
2 chorizo sausages
½ cup passata
1 tablespoon tomato paste
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 small red onion, finely diced
1 teaspoon smoky paprika
½ teaspoon chilli flakes
½ teaspoon salt
Pinch of sugar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Olive oil, for cooking
1. Slice chorizo into rounds on the diagonal.
2. Heat a frying pan then cook chorizo on each side until brown.
3. In the same pan, cook onion until soft.
4. Add garlic and fry, ensuring it doesn’t burn.
5. Add chilli and paprika and fry for 20 seconds, then add tomato paste and fry for 1 minute.
6. Add sugar, salt, passata, chorizo and chickpeas. Cook for 5-10 minutes until chickpeas and chorizo are cooked and warmed through.
7. Remove from heat and stir through fresh parsley. Serve hot.
Tags: morsels and musings food blog food and drink australia recipes tapas side dish chorizo garbanzo chickpeas tapas recipes chorizo recipes garbanzo recipes chickpea recipes spanish recipes spanish food spanish cuisine