Chicken Baked in Green Tomatillo Sauce
I am a sucker for Mexico’s salsa verde (green sauce). What’s not to love? Tang, acidity, spice and salt.
It’s great on anything and everything, but this is one of my favourite applications. In fact, this is quite possibly one of the tastiest and easiest dinners you’ll ever make.
Either prep your own salsa verde or buy it in a can or jar. If I am feeling lazy and just want to use a can, I love Las Palmas Green Chile Enchilada Sauce. Those living in the Americas (north, central or south) will no doubt find Mexican ingredients on their regular supermarket shelves but those of us in Australia are not so lucky. Fireworks Foods is a brilliant online store that ships nationally across Ausland and, if you’re in Sydney, Fiji Market in Newtown is a great supplier.
I serve this with Arroz Verde, which is basically rice cooked in a green stock of puréed chillies and coriander, finished with lime.
My Mexican friends jokingly call this meal “chicken rice” due to its sheer simplicity, but this belies the astounding flavours. I think of this as comforting homely food with a wonderful punch of gutsy Mexican sabors.
Pollo en Salsa Verde (Chicken baked in Green Sauce)
Anna’s very own recipe. Serves 4.
8 chicken thigh fillets (deboned)
2 pickled jalapeños, chopped
750ml salsa verde
Olive oil, for browning
Coriander, for garnish
Queso freso (or crumbly feta), for serving
Arroz Verde, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 180’C (360’F).
2. Put salsa verde in a sauce pan on the stove and heat over high.
3. Heat the olive oil in a pan and brown the chicken thighs to give them a little colour. No more than a minute or two on each side.
4. Remove from pan and place them in a large baking dish. Scatter with chopped jalapeños.
5. The salsa verde should now be at boiling point, so pour over chicken thighs and place baking dish in oven.
6. Cook for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and salsa verde has thickened slightly around the edges of the baking dish.
7. Sprinkle with coriander and queso freso, then serve hot with arroz verde.