But the crowning glory of his meal was the wonderful and impromptu tomato chilli jam.
Jonas is the condiment king. There isn't one sauce, seasoning or relish in our home that wasn't a direct result of his condiment purchasing zeal. He simply adores sauce.
He once told me he loved yum cha and when I asked what he loved about it he admitted it was the chilli sauce. He told me that in his opinion the dim sum were simply conduits for him to ingest as much chilli sauce as possible. Hmm.
With a passionate desire for a new sauce, he created an excellent tomato chilli jam. It was sweet, yet tangy, and certainly spicy.
I thought it would pair excellently with hand cut potato wedges and sour cream.
Jonas' Tomato Chilli Jam
Makes approximately 1 cup or 250ml
1 red onion, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
3 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon minced chilli
1. Heat a little olive oil in a pan. Add onions and sauté until softened.
2. Add garlic, ginger, chilli and tomatoes. Soften further.
3. Add brown sugar and balsamic vinegar and turn down heat.
4. Simmer until vegetables disintegrate and break down into pulp.
Mixture may dry out so, if necessary, stir through small amounts of water.
- wedges and sour cream
- cream cheese and crusty bread
- in a tart with fetta or goat's curd