How’s this for a spur of the moment breakfast treat?
I was totally bored of plain old eggs so Jonas decided to whip up something a little different. The beans tasted absolutely wonderful, spicy and flavoursome all at once. I cannot recommend this recipe more highly.
Jonas’ Breakfast Beans
Jonas’ very own recipe. Serves 3.
300g can cannellini beans, drained
4-5 ripe tomatoes, chopped roughly
1 small red onion, chopped finely
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 bay leaf
¼ cup passata
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh oregano, finely chopped
1 teaspoon minced chilli or chilli paste
1-2 teaspoons sumac
1-2 tablespoons Greek style yoghurt
Poached eggs and bread to serve
1. Fry onions, chilli and garlic until soft.
2. Add tomatoes and passata, sumac, bay leaf, salt and pepper then cook for approx. 20 minutes over very low heat. Stir occasionally and add more passata or water if liquid levels decrease.
3. When the tomatoes have broken down and become a sauce, add beans. Cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add fresh herbs and cook for 5 minutes more.
5. Take off heat and stir through yoghurt.
6. Serve with a poached egg and bread.
Tags: morsels and musings food blog food and drink australia recipes breakfast eggs beans baked beans breakfast recipes breakfast food