I was very happy when I discovered this yummy Syrian breakfast.
I first spotted this dish on the menu of a Lakemba Lebanese restaurant, and it is indeed a dish eaten all over the Levant. My version is an amalgamation of many web recipes, mostly Syrian, that I read over before coming up with my Sunday morning brekkie.
One of the grocery stores across the street stocks a lot of Middle Eastern goods, I suspect the owners are Lebanese, and so it was easy to find what I wanted when I snuck out of the house this morning.
It’s such a gentle, moreish meal, perfect for a late morning or brunch hunger buster. You could even eat it alongside your eggs.
Anna’s very own recipe. Serves 2.
400g can chickpeas
125g natural yoghurt
1 lemon, juiced
3 tablespoons tahini
1 large clove garlic, crushed
1 round of pita bread
30g pine nuts, dry toasted in a frying pan
½ teaspoon salt
Chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
Sumac or cayenne pepper, to garnish
Olive oil, to garnish
1. Drain chickpeas and rinse well. Place in a pan with cold water then bring to the boil.
2. Add a little salt then boil for approximately 7 minutes or until chickpeas are tender. Reserve some of the cooking liquor.
3. Heat a frying pan and (without oil) toast pita bread until browned, dry and crispy. Break into shards.
4. In a bowl, whisk yoghurt, tahini, garlic, ½ teaspoon salt and lemon juice until combined. It should have the consistency of runny paint. Add chickpea cooking water if it needs to be thinned.
5. Place pita shards in a serving dish. Cover with warm chickpeas. Pour over yoghurt sauce then decorate with drizzled olive oil, pine nuts, parsley and sumac/cayenne.
Variation: you could also add minced lamb, cooked with a little lemon juice and mixed with fresh, chopped parsley and coriander.
Finished off with fragrant, fresh parsley: this is my contribution to Weekend Herb Blogging, hosted by Estonia's Pille from Nami Nami.
Tags: morsels and musings food blog food and drink australia recipes weekend herb blogging whb breakfast side dish entrée starter snack yoghurt tahini pita breakfast recipes vegetarian recipes yogurt recipes yoghurt recipes garbanzo recipes chickpea recipes syrian recipes syrian food syrian cuisine middle eastern recipes middle eastern food middle eastern cuisine