Sunday 21 October 2007

omani spiced tuna

This is one of the most simplest and delicious dishes I have made in a long time.

It's got all the elements I crave: raw fish, fresh herbs, acidic citrus and spices.

You could serve it with rice, a fresh salad, spiced cous cous or even a few slices of avocado.

Hmmmm. I want some more right now!

Omani Spiced Tuna
Anna’s adaptation of a recipe from Julie le Clerc’s Taking Tea in the Medina. Serves 4.
Ingredients:
4 x 150g portions of tuna (preferably the thick, tail end)
½ teaspoon chilli flakes
½ teaspoon ground coriander seeds
1 teaspoon ground paprika
Juice of 2 limes
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
Salt & pepper
Methods:
1. Combine the spices, lime juice and olive oil. Whisk to combine
2. Coat tuna then marinate in a deep, flat, ceramic dish for 2 hours in the fridge.
3. Bring to room temperature and season with salt and pepper.
4. Sear tuna 2 minutes on each side so edges are pale but centre is still rare.
5. Roll in fresh coriander and serve with lime wedges.


It's a brilliant dish but it uses herbs I've covered off many times before, so no long explanation of origins, uses and etymologies I'm afraid.

This week herb blogging is being hosted by Susan from The Well Seasoned Cook, so why not head over to her blog and read over the recap instead.

Tags:

10 comments:

  1. Sounds just fabulous. I like all these flavors, and I love tuna in any form!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so unbelievably good - I want it right now!!!!
    We rarely get that quality of tuna - wrong country, wrong part of the ocean, whatever. WOW, that looks good (oops, getting repetitive)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna, this is spectacular. Oh, I had good pasta tonight, but I wish I had this instead!

    Thanks for the wonderful WHB entry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum that looks and sounds fantastic. I'm not a big fan of cooked tuna but raw? yum yum, gimme some! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi anna,

    where do you buy your tuna from?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This saturday mel will be hot again! And I know what I will be aking for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great Anna! Tuna is one of my favourites and teamed up with all those fresh herbs = YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is some fabulous looking tuna you've got there! It looks like it is cooked perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish i was there when you made this one.. Looks delicious.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anna
    Ooohhh this brings back memories... I used to live in Oman and never, NEVER again have I tasted tuna as fresh and gorgeous as you could get in the fish soukh in Muscat. If you can ever get your hands on some Omani Masala, don't hesitate as that is brilliant sprinkled on tuna steaks right before you briefly hold them over a hot grill...
    Cheers
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for saying hello. It's great to know there are people out there in cyberspace!

Related Posts with Thumbnails