Sunday, 13 September 2009
Lemon Slice is one of Australia's traditional treats.
It's very sweet and very tangy and reminds me of Sunday afternoons climbing the Jacaranda tree in my yard as my sisters road their bikes up and down the street (I couldn't ride a bike, but I could climb highest in the tree!).
Recipe from taste.com.au Makes 12 pieces.
Ingredients:½ cup sweetened condensed milk
200g plain biscuits
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 lemon, rind finely grated
2 cups icing sugar mixture
40g butter, softened
1 lemon, juiced
1. Grease and line a 3cm-deep, 15.5cm x 25cm rectangular pan.
2. Place condensed milk and butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes or until butter melts.
3. Place biscuits in a food processor and process to fine crumbs.
4. Combine crumbs, coconut and 2 teaspoons lemon rind in a bowl.
5. Add hot butter mixture. Stir until well combined.
6. Press biscuit mixture into prepared pan. Refrigerate for 1½ hours or until firm.
7. To make lemon icing, place icing sugar mixture, butter and 2½ tablespoons of lemon juice in a bowl. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth.
8. Spread icing over slice. Refrigerate for a further 30 minutes or until icing has set.
9. Cut into pieces. Serve.