Saturday, 19 September 2009
Bored of bacon and eggs?
Toast just not cutting it?
Cereal getting you down?
Then here’s a brekkie recipe for you!
Chilli and spices are tempered with the mild creaminess of paneer (cheese) in this Indian breakfast best served with flatbread.
Paneer Bhurji (Fried Paneer)
Anna’s very own recipe based on various internet versions. Serves 2.
300g fresh paneer, crumbled coarsely
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 green chilli, finely chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1 teaspoon lime juice
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon red chilli powder
½ teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
¼ teaspoon coriander powder
Pinch of asafeotida (hing) powder
Chopped fresh coriander, to garnish
Rice or flatbread, to serve
1. Heat the oil, add the onion and green chilli and fry until soft.
2. Add the cumin seeds and fry until browned and fragrant.
3. Add the pepper, chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder and asafeotida (hing) powder and fry until fragrant.
4. Next add the grated ginger, sugar and chopped tomato.
5. Now add the paneer and salt and fry, stirring continuously, until heated through.
6. Remove from the heat and stir through lime juice and fresh coriander leaves.
7. Serve hot with rice or Indian flat breads like roti, chapati or naan.
Interested in some other exciting breakfast recipes from the M&M archives?
Baked Eggs & Beans V
Blackberry Breakfast Cake V
Blueberry & Sour Cream Wholemeal Pancakes V
Blueberry Focaccia V
Breakfast Crumble V
Chilaquiles (Mexican bean, tomatillo & tortilla bake) V
Çılbır (Turkish eggs w spiced yoghurt) V
Fatteh (Syrian chickpeas, tahini & yoghurt) V
Grape & Aniseed Schiacciata V
Jonas' Breakfast Beans V
Khabeesa (Omani rose & cardamom porridge) V
Khachapuri (Georgian cheese bread) V
Moringa Omelette V
Mulberry & Vanilla Muffins V
Pears Poached in Passionfruit Juice V
Persimmon & Bourbon Bread V
Persimmon Fruit Salad V
Potato Breakfast Curry w Poached Eggs V
Quinoa Porridge V
Ricotta, Strawberry & Choc-Chip Muffins V
Roquefort Popovers V
Zucchini, Mint & Feta Bake V