Friday, 11 September 2009
It's been a while since I got my act together and participated in Presto Pasta Night! But here I am with this tangy, quick comfort soup that I whip up when I'm hungry. The ingredients (or most of them) are usually on hand ever since my parents gave us a kaffir tree for the balcony.
It's delicious, healthy and really hits my sour spot!
Tamarind & Kaffir Broth w Vermicelli
Anna’s very own recipe. Serves 2 as a starter.
1 small red chilli, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
2 kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced
Juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons tamarind concentrate
2 tablespoons fresh chopped coriander
1 scallion, thinly sliced
1 tomato, finely diced
1 tablespoon peanut oil
80g thin rice vermicelli
1. Heat peanut oil in a small saucepan.
2. Add chilli and kaffir leaves fry for a minute.
3. Add garlic and fry another minute.
4. Add tomato and scallion and fry, smashing tomato, until it begins to break down a little.
5. Add stock and tamarind concentrate and bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
6. While soup simmers, prepare vermicelli according to manufacturers instructions.
7. Drain vermicelli and add to soup. Remove from heat and stir through fresh coriander and lime juice. Serve hot.
This week's host for Presto Pasta Night is Rachel, The Crispy Cook. Be sure to see what other pasta/noodle delights await.