Thursday 3 July 2008

blueberry & sour cream pancakes



These pancakes, part of my Blueberry Week, are a perfect start to the day. Warm, sweet, fruity.

The use of wholemeal flour gives a slight earthy flavour to contrast with the sweetness of the berries. Not to mention the litres of maple syrup topping lathered upon them before eating.

Oh, so maybe that’s just me.

Pancakes are strongly associated with the men of my life. As a child, my American father would randomly make them for weekend breakfasts and my brothers, father and I would have competitions to see who could eat the most.

When my parents divorced my mother was bitterly jealous that I rated my father’s pancakes higher than her’s. She would offer to make them for me, but I’d say something insensitive like “Oh no, don’t worry. I’m going to Dad’s house next weekend and I’ll have them there. His are much better.” Mum couldn’t figure out why Dad’s were so much better and she’d drill me for information on the texture, the ingredients and how he cooked them.

Perhaps I was being obstinate, but I refused to betray my father’s pancake recipe and even though, somehow, Mum eventually mastered the humble pancake to make them on par with Dad, I never told her so.

Christmas 2003, my grandparents, cousin and aunt visited from the US and my two older brothers had brought their families from interstate. We gathered at my father’s house and suddenly the smell of pancakes wafted out of the kitchen. It was just as I remembered.

Visiting my brother in Queensland, I have also seen him making pancakes for his kids on the weekend, passing on the tradition.

And then there is Jonas. He is a breakfast fiend, or perhaps I should say “breakfast nazi” since he will only eat traditional Western breakfast foods in the morning. I could devour a bowl of spaghetti bolognese or chile con carne, but Jonas will opt for baked beans or cereal.

This strict breakfast regime has its benefits, since Jonas is often happy to whip up some French toast, BLTs or even some delicious pancakes.

So now that I’m all grown up, my husband makes me pancakes and, without even knowing it, continued the male pancake tradition in my family.


Blueberry & Sour Cream Wholemeal Pancakes
Based on a recipe from
Burke’s Backyard. Makes 8-10 pancakes.

Ingredients:

250ml sour cream
½ cup blueberries
3 eggs, separated
1 cup milk
1 cup plain flour
¾ cup wholemeal flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
Butter

Method:

1. Tip the sour cream into a large bowl and add 3 egg yolks and a little of the milk. Mix ingredients together then add the rest of the milk and stir it through.

2. Add the dry ingredients and blueberries, folding them through the mixture so that the moisture is absorbed into the flour.

4. In a separate bowl beat 3 egg whites until they form soft peaks.

5. Add a little of the beaten egg white to begin with and mix it in briskly, then add the rest of the egg white folding carefully so as not to burst the air bubbles.

6. To cook, turn the heat on high under a non-stick frying pan. When the pan is heated turn it to a medium heat. Use some kitchen paper to smear a small amount (about a teaspoon) of butter around the warmed pan.

7. Add the pancake mix to the pan to the size required. They take about a minute to a minute and a half on each side, depending on the size of the pancake.

8. Serve on a plate with maple syrup and a dollop of cream.


This pancake recipe is my contribution to Susan's Pancakes on Parade, a foodie event focusing on sweet and savoury pancakes. Check out the round-up once it's posted on the Well Seasoned Cook.


Tags:

4 comments:

  1. Yum, being a pancake lover of all shapes, flavours & size, these look fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the sumptuous recipe, Anna. I had to laugh at your post. My grandfather, father, brother, husband and deceased FIL *all* were the pancake cooks in our families. Too bad they weren't the best clean-up crew after they were done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,
    I was just wondering how big a carton of sour cream is? I would love to make this recipe, but buy my sour cream by the bucket
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  4. dee, that's a good point! all fixed up now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for saying hello. It's great to know there are people out there in cyberspace!

Related Posts with Thumbnails