Thursday, 22 December 2011
On a recent visit to the fish market, I was one happy girl when I spotted a bevy of razor clams.
They came from Scotland, so I don’t even want to think about the carbon emission from those food miles, but eating razor clams is a rarity for me, and I love them.
The best way to eat them is simply grilled in their shell with a little garlic butter and parsley, just the way they served them to me on Barceloneta beach.
Razor Clams w Garlic & Parsley Butter
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Mix the garlic, parsley, salt and pepper with the butter. Roll into a log then wrap in plastic and refrigerate until hard.
2. When ready to cook, open the razor clams and cut out the dark sections which include the gills, stomach and intestines.
3. Place on a layer of foil on a grill tray.
4. Cut strips of the garlicky butter and cover the length of the clam.
5. Grill for a minute or until the butter melts and the clam flesh firms but doesn’t get too tough.