Tuesday 16 May 2006

word of the day

Today at work, Rob made a flourish in the air and asked how to describe the action. I had my trusty online Dictionary/Thesaurus at hand and quickly looked it up, only to find a wonderful new word: genuflect. Guaranteed I will forget it in a week or so, but right now I’m rolling it around on my brain and enjoying it’s newness.
gen•u•flect
intr.v. gen•u•flect•ed, gen•u•flect•ing, gen•u•flects
To bend the knee or touch one knee to the floor or ground, as in worship; To be servilely respectful or deferential. Synonyms: grovel, kowtow, curtesy, bow, prostrate.
[Latin gen, knee; + Latin flectere, to bend.]
[Late Latin genflectere]
Other words worth considering because of their meanings or sounds: defenestrate, masks, Wednesday, defibrillator, Woolloomooloo.

1 comment:

  1. You're obliviously not Catholic. We had to genuflect every other day and my associations with it are not particularily interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for saying hello. It's great to know there are people out there in cyberspace!

Related Posts with Thumbnails