Sunday 21 May 2006

amato's italian wine tasting

Yesterday Jonas and I dragged Tim Y to Italian wine tasting at Amato’s in Leichhardt. It was another case of the wine promoters assuming that because we are young we don't know anything about wines (and by young I mean under 30). They focused on the middle aged customers and ignored us, but I made my presence felt and asked a few poignant questions to let them know I was serious. Once we had their attention, I got to try a few very lovely wines, but as with many wine shows the overall selection was pretty average.

My three favourite of the day were the 2004 Tiefenbrunner Pinot Grigio (Trentino Alto Adige), which I have tried on other occasions and always enjoyed; the 2001 Farnese Sessantani Primitivo (Puglia) which leached golden Mediterranean sun; and the 2004 Allegrini Valpolicella (Veneto) made from Corvina Veronese, Rondinella and Molinara grapes - young, fruity and berry red.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for saying hello. It's great to know there are people out there in cyberspace!

Related Posts with Thumbnails