Friday 23 May 2008

cornbread

 
My dad grew up in California and when my mother migrated to the US in the 1970s she learnt to cook some of the Tex Mex and Southern recipes of the USA.

Before I was born my family relocated to Australia, but I was brought up on chilli con carne and cornbread as a regular weekly meal. I suppose that’s where my love of kidney beans began. I just loved the meaty-beany stew and the soft, warm, sweet cornbread alongside it.

As I grew older and my parents divorced we ate these dishes less and less since both my mother and my father’s new partners weren’t big fans. I really mourned the loss of this family staple so every now and then my mother would bake a batch of cornbread and we’d sit down and eat it hot from the oven, dripping with butter.

When my mother passed away we lost her wonderful cornbread recipe, but I think Bethany’s family’s version comes pretty close.

It has to be sweet, soft and hot. Then it reminds me of my mum.


Cornbread
Based on a recipe by
Bethany Weathersby. Serves 10.
Ingredients:

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup self raising flour
¼ cup sugar
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
½ cup vegetable oil
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup shredded cheese (optional)

Method:


1. Preheat baking tin in the oven to 180’C.

2. In a bowl combine vegetable oil, eggs and sugar and blend.

3. Add buttermilk and baking soda until combined.

4. Gently fold in flour and cornmeal (and optional cheese) until few lumps remain, but do not over mix.

5. Pour batter into hot skillet and return to oven and bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.


This is my contribution to the Tastes to Remember blogging event hosted by Sarah from Homemade: Experiences in the Kitchen. I like the idea of this event, reminiscing about recipes, tastes and smells from childhood.

This recipe is also another tick off my 2008 Food Resolutions list.

Tags:

7 comments:

  1. What a nice memory. (I didn't know your family had lived in the U.S., interesting to find out.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up eating beans and corn bread and my children will too. What a great looking slice of bread. It's begging for some butter and honey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't mind some of that corn-bread, no sir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I find our chili con carne doesn't taste like the 70s version. I am so glad you found something that is similar.
    www.homesteadblogger.com/ourlittlehouseintown

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had cornbread before - sounds like a cross between bread and cake to me! Do you go to particular shops to buy cornmeal in Sydney? I don't think I've seen in in the baking aisle so far but I might have been blind...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you ever google your name? I do on occasion. This time it came up here because you tried my cornbread recipe. Glad you liked it!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for saying hello. It's great to know there are people out there in cyberspace!

Related Posts with Thumbnails