Friday 27 June 2008

argentinean shepherd’s pie


It’s cold here in Sydney. The days are deceptive with their blue skies and sunshine but the wind is icy and the nights are chill.

What better way to warm up than with a belly full of meat and potato. So comforting.

This is (apparently) an Argentinean recipe, part of my 2008 food challenges, but I’ll let the Argentineans decide whether it's truly tradtional or not.

I’ll enjoy eating it nonetheless.


Pastel de Papas (Argentinean Shepherd’s Pie)

Recipe from
Popular Traditional Argentina Food. Serves 2.
Ingredients:
4 cups of mashed potatoes (add butter and salt to taste)
2 cups ground beef
½ teaspoon of chopped parsley
2 tablespoons of grated cheese
1 onion, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 garlic clove, minced
½ cup of oil
Spices to taste

Method:


1. Heat the oil. Fry onions and garlic.

2. Stir in tomatoes and tomato sauce when onions turn light brown.

3. When tomatoes are cooked, stir in ground beef.

4. Continue stirring to blend well all ingredients. Add the cheese and parsley

5. Cook until beef is brown. Remove from heat and season.

6. Oil a baking dish and then spread half the potatoes on the bottom.

7. Spread the ground beef over the potatoes.

8. Cover the ground beef with the remaining mashed potatoes.

9. Bake in oven till the top is lightly browned.


Tags:

7 comments:

  1. That shepherds pie looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother used to make shepherds pie when I was growing up. I remember thinking that it must be a really special occasion whenever she made it, because I t tasted so wonderful. I am definitely going to try this recipe


    www.foodista.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I was in Argentina last month and missed the "pastel de papas"! THank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy!!! would love to make this one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stayed away from Shepherds pie for a long time only to find that I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks loaded with goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lived in Argentina and it doesn't seem traditional pastel de papas but aRgentina is a big place so could be... What I had many times for pastel de papas was
    the traditional empenada filling with green olives beef and onions carrots with mashed potatoes on top
    and I think they use cumin etc...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for saying hello. It's great to know there are people out there in cyberspace!

Related Posts with Thumbnails