Monday 12 March 2012

achacha thirst quencher


I’m off to Singapore this afternoon for a week of networking, pitching and purveying sites.

I’ve never been to Singapore before. I’ve been through Singapore, but never stepped off the plane to take a look around.

Everyone keeps telling me it’s hot. Hot and steamy and sweaty. Not the most conducive weather for maintaining a polished, corporate look.

In anticipation of the heat, here’s a lovely little thirst quencher I prepared using the skins of the unusual achacha fruit.

Achachas (achachairú) are tropical fruit from the Bolivian Amazon, and they are delicious.

The bright orange skins are so pretty, but when you puncture them with your fingers and peel back the thick skins you’ll find soft, white flesh that tastes like a creamy, tropical combination of custard apples, lemon, pineapple and banana.

They taste amazing.

After you devour a bag of achacha fruit, don’t throw the skins away! You can infuse them with water and sugar to make a refreshing summer juice.


Chicha de Achachairú

Recipe from www.achacha.com.au Makes 1 litre.

Ingredients:
6-8 skins
1 litre water
1 cup caster sugar
1 cup water (extra)

Method:

1. Wash achacha skins. Blend with 1 litre water.

2. Leave for at least 24 hours (or longer) in the fridge.

3. Make sugar syrup by bringing sugar and the extra 1 cup water to a simmer for 5 minutes. Cool.

4. Strain skins through a mesh strainer. Discard skins and add sugar syrup to remaining juice.

5. Chill and drink.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Anna, my sister put me onto you blog. (You know her through work her name is Nicole). We are going to Singapore in June and I hope you post some tasty notes on where to hide out there. Your Barcelona tips are very handy as we will be going there too.
    Tried your Polish soup recipe and loved it! My husband is Polish although very much Australian!
    Your blog is a definite bookmark for me!
    Smiles, Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi jo! nicole mentioned you cooked the polish pickle soup. i'm so glad you like it. i'll get nicole to pass on your email address and then send you some links for singapore and barcelona. i hear you're a big foodie so let me know if you cook other recipes!

      Delete
  2. Hi Anna, the soup was excellent to say the least! I look
    forward to the links. Very excited about our trip and good to know someone who can help map our way to the highlights of these two great cities. Thanks for sharing in advance and safe travels. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing and I will look forward to trying it out on my family this weekend when they come to visit us.

    Thanks for the recipe!

    Grandma Kat
    XOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. how funny, i tried achacha for the first time recently, was blown away by how delicious it is, my kids are addicted!
    i cooked your chipotle chicken nachos last week, did you see my tweet?, we loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna, have you tried using shorter periods of time with regards to soaking the blended skins in water. I find after blending the achacha skins with water (6skins per liter with 2-3 tablespoons of honey) I just strain them with a clean old shirt & give the skins a good ringing out & then just add ice & drink straight away. I have tried re-soaking the skins 2nd time around and nothing much come out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for saying hello. It's great to know there are people out there in cyberspace!

Related Posts with Thumbnails